[Showa Kinen Park is temporarily closed due to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) from March 28th, 2020 until who-knows-when. So I stopped updating the list below.]
Many events are being canceled in Japan due to the new coronavirus 19 (COVID-19) and Showa Kinen Park is not an exception. It’s too bad because I personally think spring is the best season to enjoy the park.
The most disappointing thing ever is their cancellation of Night Cherry Blossom Walk. 🙁 Mid-March to Early April is the best season for “Hanami” in Japan with cherry blossoms trees blooming everywhere.
Hanami (花見：はなみ) is a Japanese word that literally means “watching flowers”. It’s one of the biggest events in Japan that everyone enjoys with their family, friends and even colleagues.
However, this year Japan is banning any cherry blossom gathering (called “Hanami” in Japanese) which involves food and drinks to prevent the new coronavirus (COVID-19) from spreading any further. Showa Kinen Park is not an exception and they are banning any Hanami gathering in the park and cancelling Night Cherry Blossom Walk event.
SHOWA KINEN PARK IS NOT CLOSED SO YOU CAN STILL GO AND ENJOY CHERRY BLOSSOM TREES. You just can’t sit and do the usual “Hanami”.
Hanami is not the only event that is being cancelled. Lots of other events throughout Japan are being cancelled and many of them were until March 15th. But since the coronavirus outbreak has been labelled a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO), the list is getting longer everyday.
Here are the list of events that are cancelled or rescheduled at Showa Kinen Park. I will update this post regularly to delivery you the latest updates. I am not including past events. (as of March 15th)
- Night Cherry Blossom Walk
- Furano Nature School Tokyo School: March 1 (Sun) – March 31 (Tue)
- Nature Observation Tour: March 17 (Tue)
- Botanical Art Lesson: March 19 (Thu)
- Park Fitness Nordic Walking: March 19 (Thu)
- Children’s Forest Craft Class “Donguri Craft”: March 20 (Fri) – March 22 (Sun)
- Project Wild Nature Discovery School: March 21 (Sat)
- Parent-Child Workshop: March 21 (Sat)
- Sound bud concert: March 22 (Sun)
- Udon making at a farm: March 24 (Tue)
- Seto Toyohiko Photo Exhibition: March 18 (Thu)~ → March 23 (Mon)~
- The 13th Sakura Concierge Exhibition: March 20 (Fri)~ → March 23 (Mon)~
- Spring Flower Photo Exhibition to Color Showa Kinen Park: March 20 (Fri)~ → March 23 (Mon)~
“CHRISTMAS ROSE WEEK IN MARCH” event is not cancelled. But there is some update with the event location. So please check out the following blog for the latest update.
Some facilities are closed between from February 29 (Sat) to March 22 (Sun) at Showa Kinen Park. See this link for the details. (only in Japanese)
I really hope we will over overcome this difficult period. Stay safe!